First generation Italians loved this Capuchin monastery. Crowds of them would make pilgrimages to Herman and spend the day there honoring St. Francis, the patron saint of the land they had left behind.
Joseph Sherman established his machine shop
in Butler in 1890. Two automobiles were
built in the Butler factory very early in the 20th Century, one owned by the
J.B. Sherman family, the other by the A.E. Russell family.
From an undated clipping of an auto-club run in the Russell car from Butler to
Pittsburgh: "These cars, both 50 horse power, have run throughout
the season, with little or no repairs, and without one serious breakdown.
Members of the party who made the trip say that some of the miles were covered
at a mile a minute clip, and even then the big machine did not seem to be
anywhere near its limit of speed."
First row: R-L Patty Suchy, Carole Roe, Virginia Schnitzki, Mr Shricker, Miss Shanor, Mr Kerr, Diane Turner, Mary Lou Klowak Second row R-L Unknown, Mary Ann Derkics, Alice Diehl, Jeanne Davis, Mabel Cress, Andrea Gyongosi, Joyce Flack, Yvonne Betres,
Third Row R-L
Margaret White, Nancy Herman, Donna Rausch, Dorthy Ballon, Nancy Cubbison, Nancy Longdon, Unknown, Donna Sobkowz
Fourth row R-L
Lee Hoovler, Leonard Pruckner, Jackie Povlick, Alan Cubbison, John Kosar, Tony Grenek, Fred Polanec
Top row R-L
David Hindman, Frank Komitsky Jr., Tim O'Hara, Russel Crouse, Ronnie Hemphill, Mike Pawk, Phillip Mudrick