. . . Welcome! . . . Take some time to browse and make comments. . .

Wednesday, February 01, 2023

Deshon Hospital ~ 1942

 

Deshon VA Hospital 1942
My father (R) was a pharmacist at Deshon. He sometimes remarked of his time at Deshon General that "We fought the battle of the Airport Inn." Obviously, a reference to nights spent dancing and partying. My question is: does anyone know the exact name and location of the place my Dad referred to as the "Airport Inn"? Perhaps it was on or near Airport Rd. Does it exist any more?
Thanks,
David Meisner

8 comments:

Anonymous said...

It could be in reference to a motel near the airport which was just across the road from Deshon.

Anonymous said...

If I remember correctly, the Airport Inn was south of Butler Airport, in the Brownsdale area. I remember that they had a big sign on the roof.

Anonymous said...

Might be a reference to the Beacon Inn/Hotel. I remember my parents speaking about going there in the same time frame.

Unknown said...

There used to be an airport acrossw what was then Route 422 where Target and Walmart are now. I think that is the airport they are referring to.

Unknown said...

Across from the VA was the Butler/Alameda Airport or Airfield. It had a restaurant located on the property.

Anonymous said...

McKee's motel was not too far from Deshon. It was on the other side of the road.

Anonymous said...

They could be referring to the Beacon Hotel near the regional airport off Route 8. I recall a large airport spotlight being located there.

David Meisner said...

Thanks to the commenters for their input.
David Meisner