Glenn Crytzer is guitarist and composer. His first full orchestral piece “Nocturne Fantasy” was performed in 2005. His Blue Rhythm Band is a 13 piece dance band which focuses on the music of the late 1920′s through the early 1940′s. and his Syncopators are a jazz band dedicated to the popular music of the 1920s, 1930s and early 1940s.
Two bars and lunch rooms across the street from the plant's main gate on Standard Avenue. They were very busy after shift change. They were removed during the war years. The one on the left was owned by the Paganelli family.
The First Methodist Episcopal Church was established as the head of the Butler Circuit in 1825. The congregation’s first church was built in 1827 on West Wayne. The congregation moved to its current location in 1874, with this church being built in 1904. It is now the First United Methodist Church.
The Rev. Johnnie David Panther died on Sunday, May 26, 2013.
Judge Brydon practiced law in Slippery Rock and Butler from 1959-82 and served as district attorney from Butler County from 1964-82. He then served as Common Pleas Judge for Butler County from 1982 until 2005.
A memorable observance of Yom Hashoah-Holocaust Remembrance Day.
They hosted Holocaust survivor and former “hidden child”, Ms. Shulamit Bastacky who related her tale of survival in World War II in Poland, where she was sheltered by a righteous gentile. Her message was drawn from her own experiences.
Spent our Saturday afternoons here. 10 cents. We loved it. [Now the Brick House restaurant]
At the turn of the last century, the two properties that The Brick House now occupies, housed vaudeville theaters. The Lyric Theater occupied the space where the main bar and dining areas are today. The Capitol Theater is above the game room / banquet room. In the 1940's the Capitol was converted into one of Butler's five movie houses. Legend has it that Houdini performed and Herbert Hoover campaigned there sometime along it's storied history. Movie house records, found in the rafters, indicate that hundreds came to see movies on a nightly basis.
The Capitol Theater is still intact today on the second floor. In the early 1970's the Capitol side of the building was purchased and renovated into a restaurant by The Eat 'n Park Corp. where it remained until it's late 70's move to New Castle Road. Their renovation carefully protected the key elements of the Capitol Theater thus preserving this Historic site.
Greetings Charles: I wonder if you could place the attached picture of Colonel Ike Scanlon (real name was Michael Scanlon) on your blog. He was a train announcer for the B & O Railroad, but most people would remember him as selling newspapers at the corner of Main and Jefferson by the Hot Dog Shop. He left Butler in 1936 to move with his wife to Baldwin, Kansas. He was quite the well-known celebrity in Butler and even had his own orchestra "The Star Orchestra". He ran the miniature railroad at Alameda Park and was the first to sell souvenirs at the amusement park. -- Bill May