The Maridon opened on May 8th, 2004. It is the only museum in the Western Pennsylvania region with a specific focus on Asian Art and Culture coupled with German Meissen porcelain. The museum — both the objects and the buildings that house them — is the gift of Mary Hulton Phillips.
A Pullman Standard railcar that has returned home to become a historical marker. It sits in front of the new transit authority bus station in the center of the Pullman business park. It was built at the Pullman Standard's Butler Plant in June 1974 (plant closed in 1982 and was demolished in 2005) and is a covered hopper car that carried grain. It was donated by GATX, transported back from Canada, restored in New Castle and sent back to Butler in Feb 2011. A more fitting memorial that just a plaque to the old plant and its workers.
constructed this building and many other impressive Butler buildings including the Butler Savings and Trust (now the new PNC Bank), Elm Court, TW Phillips Gas Building, Butler "Eagle" Publishing Company Building and the Butler Senior High School (now Junior High)
The most unusual memorial on the Diamond is the black-granite World War II Memorial. A map of the world, identifying countries involved in the war, is surrounded by a curving wall, made of sacks resembling a field-made bunker and topped by eagles.
Two Civil War cannons in Diamond Park with the name of a Butler soldier, Alfred G. Reed inscribed on them. Before the Battle of Fredrichsburg he was promoted to the rank of first lieutenant in the 134th Pa. Volunteer Infantry. He was wounded in one of the last six disastrous charges against a 600-foot section of a chest-high stone wall occupied by the Confederates at the base of Marye’s Heights at the Battle of Fredericksburg, Va. and lated died from an infection of the fatal gunshot.
Clara Barton, Civil War nurse and founder of the America Red Cross spoke at the present Hill United Presbyterian Church on Brady and Second Streets when she came here to help with the great Typhoid Epidemic in 1903/1904. 127 people died in Butler and there were some 1,500 cases. About 1 out 13 people in Butler/Lyndora had typhoid. This was to be Barton's last mission for the Red Cross. It was her visit which started the Red Cross here in Butler. Clara Barton nursed at theBattle of Antietam.