The First Methodist Episcopal Church was established as the head of the Butler Circuit in 1825. The congregation’s first church was built in 1827 on West Wayne. The congregation moved to its current location in 1874, with this church being built in 1904. It is now the First United Methodist Church.
The Rev. Johnnie David Panther died on Sunday, May 26, 2013.
He was 56.